Home View Blog

Canadian Arctic Expedition Blog

Sachs Harbour, NWT, Thursday July 25, 2013

posted July 26, 2013

It was a rainy and foggy day in Sachs Harbour today, and now it’s snowing. It was a “hurry-up-and-wait” day as the scheduled Aklak Air flight from Inuvik was supposed to take Mitzi Dodd (Peter Bernard’s great-great-niece) out and bring Mack (Alex) MacDonald in. Now we have to wait for tomorrow to see if the weather cooperates with our crew turnover. It was mostly an inside day today, a good opportunity to work on mapping the CAE camps. I have been talking with Elders here trying to relate the place names used in 1915 and 1930 with the names on the maps today. It is difficult to locate the old camps and caches because the Expedition journals often refer to places whose names have changed, and give distances from unknown places too. There were only a very few official place names on the old British Admiralty charts the CAE men were using. But with input from three different eras, I think I now have figured out where all the places we need to find really are!

We heard today via the old Inuit telegraph system (Facebook) that there is a sailboat in Tuktoyaktuk. But it may be the one boat that is ahead of our Bernard Explorer. But it is good news, if one boat has made it through, Bob can’t be far behind.