Home View Blog

Canadian Arctic Expedition Blog

Sachs Harbour, August 1st

posted August 2, 2013
Aerial view of Mary Sachs site: Square remnant foundation was the CAE headquarters house, about 20 metres squared. Circular mark in front of it may have been an ice house. Rectangular foundation before that, near coast line, may have been another outbuilding. Note erosion on cliff to left side of photo.

Aerial view of Mary Sachs site: Square remnant foundation was the CAE headquarters house, about 20 metres squared. Circular mark in front of it may have been an ice house. Rectangular foundation before that, near coast line, may have been another outbuilding. Note erosion on cliff to left side of photo.

This small village was not established until the 40s and 50s, yet it is rich in history.

In less than a half hour east and west, 1000 year old Thule Inuit archeological sites can be found.

Later the nomadic Copper Inuit hunted throughout Banks Island. They also hunted and lived on Victoria Island, and the Arctic mainland.

Sachs Harbour was first described by members of the Canadian Arctic Expedition. They briefly anchored their Expedition schooner Mary Sachs behind the sand spit in August of 1914. People used the Mary Sachs Creek site after the Expedition left in 1917, but also established camps on the west coast. David, Mitzi, and Mack have spent several days documenting and mapping what is left of the little camp.